If you’re an avid reader of travel blogs, or follow travel bloggers via various social networks, you may already have heard of Passports with Purpose. If it’s something new to you, let me enlighten you.
1. What is Passports with Purpose?
Since 2008, travel bloggers from around the globe have come together to raise money for a specific charity. It’s a way of giving back; to say thank you to the communities we’ve visited, lived amongst, learned from.
We acknowledge being incredibly lucky to be able to travel as much as we do, but it’s a luxury that is sometimes taken for granted. Passports with Purpose is a great reminder that it’s not always about us.
In the past, Passports with a Purpose has raised money for Heifer International, American Assistance for Cambodia, has provided two libraries in Zambia with Room to Read, built a whole village in India and last year exceeded all expectations by raising way more than the goal, resulting in five new water wells in Haiti.
This year, the goal is to raise $115,000 for buildOn to construct three schools and fund three adult literacy programs in the Sikasso region of southern Mali, Africa.
buildOn’s Global School Construction Program provides rural communities in developing nations with access to education. For two decades, buildOn has mobilized villages in some of the poorest countries on the planet to build more than 524 schools.
2. How it Works
- Travel bloggers get together with companies to offer a selection of travel-related prizes.
- The first enticing blog posts go live at 11:59 pm EST on November 25, 2013, when all bloggers involved reveal their prizes.
- A list of prizes will appear on Passports with Purpose on November 26, 2013 (next Tuesday, in case you’re checking), and the bidding will commence.
- There you can bid on as many of the prizes as you wish. The minimum donation is $10. You can bid on the same prize in $10 increments, if you really want it. However, there is no guarantee that you’ll win it.
- Bidding is open until December 9, 2013, when the bids will be collated and winners randomly chosen.
- The winners will be announced and notified on December 16, 2013.
You are welcome to continue to donate to the fundraiser between the 9th and 16th, but you will have missed the chance of winning anything. Still, it’s all for a good cause.
3. How is Eco Traveller Guide involved?
Oooh, glad you asked.
I am delighted to be working with Hotels Combined this year to offer an absolutely amazing prize. However, what it is I can’t reveal until next week.
But it’s brilliant!
4. What to Do Next
In a nutshell, come back here next week to see what we have on offer, then bid.
Of course you don’t have to aim for a prize at all – you can just donate via the widget in the side bar here >>>.
Follow along with the proceedings on social media channels, and help promote this wonderful cause by sharing with your friends and family.
Facebook: Passports with Purpose
Twitter: @PassportPurpose hashtag is #PwP